.

.

Saturday, October 15, 2011

Saturday Night at the Movies! 10/15/11

Who cares what picture we see?


Well, I do, and before this Halloween Blogfest Blowout is over I want to showcase the classic monster movies that got me started as a horror fan, so we're going with this one tonight:









This was always one of my favorites on the Chiller Theater shows when I was a kid - you got three great monsters, AND Karloff as a great crazed scientist. I even liked Naish's Daniel, sensitively referred to on the poster as a hunchback and lumped in with the monsters accordingly. Now, admittedly, he does commence to throttling anyone nearby if Karloff even clears his throat, but his misbegotten one-sided romance with gypsy cutie Verdugo later in the flick tugged at my kid heartstrings mercilessly.

If you've never seen one of the classic Universal Monster Movies, you should probably not start here, as we're late in the cycle with this one, and the true classics were from the previous decade for the most part. But this one is highly recommended for anyone looking for some old school monster thrills this Halloween season.


LGOOH Halloween Blogfest Blowout Extras!



After House of Frankenstein, Universal whipped another monster abode out with House of Dracula, but the ever lessening thrills provided by these ever lower budgeted monster movies put the nail in the series with that entry, and the monsters went dormant for three years before facing Abbott and Costello in the classic Abbott and Costello Meet Frankenstein.


I'm not the biggest House of Dracula fan, so we'll skip its modest charms. I love AaCmF, but tonight we're talking about what used to be Universal's "Monster House" double feature...only now it's a trilogy...


Because several decades later, some enterprising filmmakers who love the old movies have put together a feature length homage to the classics, and they got Ron Chaney - Lon's grandson - to play the mad doctor who owns the house - and the title may tell you his secret if the actor's last name doesn't...


In any case, here's the trailer to the movie - House of the Wolf Man:










I haven't managed to see it yet, but the reviews I've read indicate the filmmakers' hearts were in the right place, even if they were somewhat undone by their low budget and unseasoned cast. As a bonus extra, I still included it even though it doesn't live in the video vault.



Until next post, probably only hours from now, you Can Poke Me With A Fork, Cause I Am Outta Here!

1 comment:

  1. House of Frankenstein was one of my faves just like Frankenstein versus The Wolf Man. I pretty much fell in love with Lon Chaney's Wolf Man and lost my heart to those beasts. Werewolves are my ultimate all time favorite monsters and I will see anything that has a monster wolf. Four legged CGI creatures need not apply for the most part, thought I have been known to make an exception.

    ReplyDelete