.

.

Thursday, April 3, 2014

A-Z Challenge 2014: C is for The Crater Lake Monster!



1977


Here's a case where the poster far outstrips the movie it is advertising. The Crater Lake Monster is a throwback to the creature features of the 1950's, right down to the awesome stop motion animation used to bring the monster to life. But the film is beyond slight - and represents the only filmic output of nearly everyone involved - except for visual effects guru Dave Allen - who had a fine career in movies and television before his untimely death a few years ago.



So, the movie is not that great - although a nostalgic fave of mine - but I don't think anyone would say that isn't a terrific and gorgeous piece of cinematic advertising up there.







Until tomorrow's post, which I hope will rock "D" world for you - you Can Poke Me With A Fork, Cause I Am Outta Here!

9 comments:

  1. I totally need to look into that (and here I thought I'd seen all the 50's creature movies). I'm glad to have discovered your blog! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This one is actually from 1977 - and you just helped me realize I don't have the movies from the first three posts listed with their year of release - going to fix that now! Thanks!

      Delete
  2. Man , what a beautiful poster - and a cool little movie too !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is some gorgeous artwork - and the movie is one I was going to enjoy just for being a big ol' stop motion fest.

      Delete
  3. Drat. I'm a sucker for stop motion but this movie sounds horrible.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You may not have a great time with it - but really, as a fan of the mostly lost art of stop motion - you kind of have to see it just so you can say you did.

      Delete
  4. I love love love this movie!! Okay, that's a big fat lie. I do love the stop-motion animation. I love all stop-motion though.

    Happy A to Z-ing. See ya 'round the web. All Things Kevyn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Then you probably still won't love this movie. Thanks for coming by!

      Delete
  5. Have this one in one of of my movie packs. Hilariously silly monster-rubbish, but the finale with the bulldozer is awesome.

    ReplyDelete