.

.

Saturday, July 26, 2014

Saturday Night at the Movies 7/26/14!

Who cares what picture we see?


Janine Turner surely does, and we don't want to disappoint her and make her cry - the poor woman doesn't even have tear ducts anymore after all...so it must be this one tonight..















Here's a typically cool and entertaining Larry Cohen movie that just kind of disappeared after its run on the VHS New Release shelf at Blockbuster in the early 90's. And that's really too bad, because, despite Eric Roberts' mullet - this is a really well done movie.


Roberts plays a comic book artist - so in addition to all the cool actors in the trailer and on that poster - you also get a wonderful Stan Lee cameo.


This one is on DVD - but I have it on VHS - and we could be unspooling it anytime - even tonight - as long as you don't fall ill on the way over here...






Until next post, you Can Poke Me With A Fork, Cause I Am Outta Here!

7 comments:

  1. I haven't seen this movie in decades! This was one of the very first movies my parents rented from our local rental store. They loved it and a few weeks later, they rented it again, so that I can see it too - and I also enjoyed it :)

    Oh btw, this poster is so fucking lame, compared to the terrific german VHS cover --> see here: http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-TwicvvESbjM/TkZtjG6Rz0I/AAAAAAAAFds/qj6oWRbJrR4/s1600/ambulance.jpg

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That IS a much better poster!

      Any chance you'll revisit this one somehow so we can get your MMHMD review?

      Delete
  2. Holy shit, even the UK cover is far better: http://img.ofdb.de/fassung/24/24201_f.jpg

    ReplyDelete
  3. Another great film, one that I haven't seen since it released, and I had no idea who Larry Cohen was at the time. My dad picked this one up for us, we were in the process of moving house, and staying in a small place 'in between' while we waiting for our new place to be ready. We had no central heating, no toilet inside... it was a cottage from the 50's. BUT, we had our TV and VCR, and we would all sit together (me, mum, dad and brothers) and watch a movie every few nights. It was a cold dark winter, but we had a great time! This film will always remind me of that strange 3 months in that house...

    But yes, that poster is horrible - my tape of this has the UK poster that Maynard kindly supplied above. I may dig into this one soon, been itching to stick the tape on again and to see how it holds up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it wild how we movie kids equate major memories like those you talk about with our first (or seventh) viewing of certain movies? I'm pleased that a time of a bit of roughing it still occupies a fairly positive place in your memories.

      I can't wait to read your thoughts if you post about it - now I'm itching to see it again too!

      Delete